The plan for the day was to finally finish the roll-in. I pre-cut a lot of wood the day before and did a good 6hrs of prep work trying to make sure I had the majority of everything set and ready. Truth is, I should know by now when I think we can finish something by a due date it isn’t going to happen according to plan.
We started off the day installing the cross braces for the new roll-in and while I was finishing up the last of them I had Dylan and Cesar go work on getting few new pieces cut top off the structure. Next we all got up on the top section of the roll-in and hoisted the roll section up and started putting it into its correct spot. See it was a bit difficult getting this piece into place not because of it having to be leveled but this was a critical section for the roll-in and had to be perfect installed in every way. Took us a good 30mins to get it set up and installed and then mounting the last runway piece to the new roll-section seemed to be where the majority of our time was spent today.
See the runway is off to the side about 5inches once the front of the roll-out was installed it gave a legit top marker to align everything with. So then over the next few hours on that one runway section along we experimented taking out screws of certain tension 2x4s(lumber that keeps the runway piece from swaying and falling apart) and even disconnected the support braces to so the only thing holding it together was the roll-in it was screwed to! It was becoming extremely frustrating. We had almost everything disconnected from the top runway and it needed to be moved over another inch or two, but it was magically staying in place with nothing holding it in. Eventually I moved myself on top of the second runway section and lifted up the one we were trying to move. It finally budged! Apparently there was a 2x4 that was just blocked and jammed against the runway.
Now with that being out of the way it was actually sitting on top of the next runway piece. That was unexpected. So I’m thinking we will have to unhinge all the other sections and scoot them down on top of shifting them over till they are straight. *sigh* seriously this aligning is a large pain in the ass. It’s the most importantt work though.
It was pretty awesome while we were moving a section of the ramp over. The lowest section actually a white tailed bunny rabbit came bolting from underneath the ramp! Oh snaps! Dan grab the camera! But it was too late. About 2hrs later Dan was shooting me doing some work when we saw our neighbors dog catch and kill the rabbit on my property and carry it over to their side haha Felt bad for the rabbit, but it was pretty cool at the same time. So Dan was on a schedule and had to leave practically as we were finishing up with re-aligning/ checking the sections. Plus his battery was just about out.
I did the end of day speech and closed it off but I insisted that we at least get the main roll-out platform up and in place. Cesar came and sawed part of the top 4x4 posts so that the 4x8ft piece would slide on nicely. Next was a fun operation, you see in the photos we have a large wooden ladder that our neighbor kindly gave to us to use. I stood halfway up that while Dylan was going to push the piece up to me and I would carry it above my head and hand it to Cesar who was a few feet above me. Then I quickly crawled to the top and Dylan and Cesar pushed it up to me. After we got the most of it over the post we started shoving it into place until it butted against the other piece. We threw a few screws in and called it a day. It was a good 6.5hr build day that day. Everyone was craving some Qdoba after that and we met up after at the skatepark to finish the day.
Check out the FLICKR SITE to view all photos from DAY 18