Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Prep Work: Ladders, supports, and rollout decks. Oh my!

Work done between: April 27 - May 1, 2009

This week I began designing the ladder its design along with the pre-construction of the rails to be added to the sides of the roll-in. I designed the ladder to come up through the hole we created and have 2 large posts used for the back to help support the ladder and keep it from bending when someone walks up it. Mainly composed of 3 large pieces over 20ft long each!

The rails were pretty standard (4ft high and 8ft wide). I tried building the first one on top of the rollin and assembled it perfectly. It was a bit windy and I set it on the edge of the surface it was to be mounted to. The rail sat perfectly. I was amped and decided to go under and screw in the first part of it before clamping it down. My stupid mistake was grabbing the 2x4 hoping that I could hold it in place while I put the 3inch screw down. Soon to find out my hand couldn’t keep the 2x4 from being pushed back and the whole thing tipped over and fell 19ft to the ground hitting a small section of the ladder I just built!

I was disappointed in myself and climbed down to check the damage. Luckily the damage was quite minimal. Only one of the 2x4s had splintered off on the side of the rail. I started constructing the other 2 rail walls and one of the support legs for the ladder.

Later this week I would finish the other support leg and finish the rest of the rails in time for the next build day

No comments: